[Kde-accessibility] Lending a Helping Hand

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Wed Sep 7 21:15:46 UTC 2011

Hi Thomas,

it's good to hear from you. I am looking forward to getting your feedback and
I think the best approach is to scratch your own itch.
Maybe I'm a bit late to chime in, but I'll try anyway.

You don't need to build KDE for now, but start with Qt. You can make KDE use a
newer version of Qt which should just work. Before doing that I would
recommend to run some simple example applications to see that Orca and the Qt
accessibility bridge like each other.

First steps:
Get the gnome environment up and running with at-spi2. Depending on your
distro you will hopefully find packages for libatspi and the newer python
bindings.
Then build Qt 4.8 and the plugin that makes it talk to at-spi2.

Some documentation is here:
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/08/23/accessibility-on-linux/
especially the two gconf lines and the export QT_ACCESSIBLITY=1
Best copy and paste that.

Building Qt is reasonably easy. The simplest way is to get it from git
git clone git://gitorious.org/qt/qt.git
./configure
make

without installing it. export PATH to the checkout path with /bin added and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the path with /lib added. You should have the qmake from
that build in your path now.
Then get the bridge:
git clone git://gitorious.org/qt-at-spi/qt-at-spi.git
qmake
make
make install

If all went well, you can run some example from the bridge. There is a folder
examples/simple which contains just a small gui application with no
functionallity.

When you have that running it should speak different kinds of widgets.

Running KDE applications is easy now as well. With that Qt version in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH you should be able to run them and orca should give some
output. Jose made some recent patches that are only going to be in the next
KDE release but for the start this should be good.

Let me know if you run into trouble.

Greetings
Frederik