[Kde-accessibility] Re: Testing ISO Request

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Wed May 25 22:30:44 CEST 2011

you should be able to boot into your installation as you normally would,
install kubuntu-desktop and then create a file as root in /etc/profile.d
like this:

sudo -i
echo export QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1 >/etc/profile.d/qtaccessibility
exit

You can actually call this file anything you want, because the shell
should read through everything in that directory on startup. At this
point, you should be able to set your system to boot into KDE, and it
should come up talking. If not, you can press alt-f2 and type
/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kaccessibleapp
tab once if I remember correctly and press the space bar. If you tab
again and don't hear anything, just press the space bar there. At this
point, you should be able to tab around the screen reader window and it
should speak, at which point you can press alt-f4 and play with the system.

If you decide you don't want to keep testing KDE, you can simply use
aptitude to remove kubuntu-desktop, which should remove all the extras
that it installed, and
sudo rm /etc/profile.d/qtaccessibility
or whatever you called that file. Your system should return to the state
it was in before you installed KDE, with the acception of some dotfiles
in your home directory, which you can keep or remove as necessary.

Note: with the exception of the uninstall stuff, which I haven't done,
this is pretty much what I did in order to get KDE talking here,
modified so that it should work on your Ubuntu install. Your mileage may
vary, of course, but it worked quite well for testing here. The main
problem I found is that for some reason, I seem to have to login on kdm
twice before KDE will start. I'm not sure why this is happening, but
neither my gdm nor my kdm speak, so I don't know what's actually
happening on screen as I try to login. I'm also not sure if installing
kubuntu-desktop will make kdm your default display manager or if it
keeps gdm as you have it. If gdm still starts, you can just leave it
alone and switch to a text console using alt-control-f1, login and type
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop;sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
and type your password at the prompt. Do the reverse to start GNOME if
kdm starts by default. I use a different distro here, so again, your
mileage may vary, as I can change my default display manager on-the-fly,
and I never did that in Ubuntu, so perhaps someone else will be able to
tell you how to do that, and then you'll be able to have the one you
want start on the next reboot.
~Kyle