[Kde-accessibility] Testing ISO Request

Alex Midence alex.midence at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:11:07 CEST 2011

Hi, all,

I have a small request to make in case one of you can spare a moment to do this:

I was wondering if an ISO could be created with KAccessibility
pre-activated for the purposes of testing the kde screen reader.  It
needn't contain anything too complex in it, just a generic KDE
installation with KAccessibility already turned on so it comes up
talking when it's inserted into the drive.  I've been wanting to test
this out for myself but have hesitated because I'm concerned it'll do
something to my current setup.

I use a modified Ubuntu Lucid and Maverick distribution inside a
virtual machine.  To get KDE onto it, I understand you have to do:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

What this will do then is go grab KDE as it's modified in Kubuntu and
then make it your default desktop when you log onto your system in
future.  You would have to go into the kdm and tel it to use Gnome or
whatever you want as the default, log out and log back in.  Unless I
have KAccessibility turned on, though, I can't access the kdm screen
to tell it to do this which would effectively lock me out of being
able to use my Gnome unless I go in and edit a text file manually.
Sicne there's no hotkey to turn this screen reader on due to some
settings that have to be turned on before hand, I'm rather caught
between the river and the deep blue sea, so to speak.  As for manually
editing a text file to get this to work, I'm not sure which one it
would be whether the .xinitrc file or some other file and I've never
done this beforeso I'm not so sure how I would go about it.  Anyway,
having a preconfigured ISO to test would solve my problem since I
could then leave my production system untouched and still be able to
utilize this screen reading solution after a fashion.  I dn't care
whether Ubuntu is used or any other distro like Debian or ARch or
something like that as long as it comes up talking for me so I can use
the thing.    I think that having an ISO that would have all of KDE's
accessibility features activated at startup for testing purposes would
go a long way towards getting more folks to try it out since not
everyone is an advanced to configure this themselves in CLI and you
don't always have a friend handy to turn this stuff on for you.  Any
takers?

Thanks.
Alex M