[Kde-accessibility] Re: accessibility problem for visual impairment

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 19:41:27 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org> wrote:
> Actually all Qt and KDE widgets are fully accessible already. For that Qt uses
> the cross-platform QAccessibility-framework. Custom widgets like those drawn
> using QPainter are not accessible (e.g. kate implements kateviewaccessible.h
> to make it's canvas accessible - I would have added a link to the file but
> seems all the KDE-restructure resulted in me not being able to find kdebase
> any longer, grrrr).

Is that new?  I'd heard as recently as 6mo ago that it didn't spea
at-spi on Linux at all, and then when I saw the qt4-at-spi package go
into Kubuntu 11.04, I was told it was incomplete.

> KDE 4.6 ships with kaccessible (located in the kdeaccessibility-module) which
> has a screenreader included. Please give it a try and let us know what needs
> to be improved.

OK, uh...how do I turn it on?  I installed it, and then I ran
/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kaccessibleapp and now there's an accessibility
icon in my tray, and I clicked on it, and it has an "enable
screenreader" checkbox, which I checked, and nothing happened.

--
Mackenzie Morgan