[Kde-accessibility] Re: accessibility problem for visual impairment

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:37:31 CEST 2011

李庭旭 <edwintinghsulee <at> gmail.com> writes:

> dear KDE accessibility teams:      I am the KDE-user with visual
impairment.however you have the function for magnification words, but screen
reader is important to visual impairment people especially blind people. I hope
your team will develop the screen reader for visual impairment people in the
next KDE desktop.

Unfortunately, most widgets don't have any support for at-spi at the moment.
There's some experimental support for some widgets from qt4-at-spi, but it's far
from complete.  This means that even if you used an existing screenreader (such
as Orca, from GNOME), there's little it'd be able to "see" to read to you.  It's
a big thing to tackle, and it's not just at the application level, but all the
way down to the Qt toolkit which KDE is built on top of.

--
Mackenzie Morgan