[Kde-accessibility] KDE-accessibility/Qt AT-SPI

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed May 13 13:27:48 CEST 2009

Hi Jeremy,

thanks a lot for offering to contribute to KDE Accessibility.

As you already wrote, Qt had an accessibility framework that can be used to
make Qt and KDE applications accessible with Orca or other assistive
technologies. One Trolltech developer (Harald Fernengel) even wrote a D-Bus
interface for it:
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/QDBusBridge

See also:
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/IAPoke
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/QDasher

This interface could be used by Orca. But it would need to be completed and
bug-fixed to achieve the full results, and in the meantime, it has become clear
Gnome is now also moving to D-Bus for their accessibility framework.

It would make a lot of sense to rework Harald's code to use the same D-Bus
interfaces as Gnome.

The timing is very good to get involved now, since it has become clear at last
that a common approach with Gnome is possible. Important decisions about the
Free Software accessibility architecture have been made (namely, Gnome's D-Bus
move).

Gunnar and I spent a lot of time on KDE Accessibility in the past, but we are
now at a point where we simply do not have the time any more to continue with
this very important work. But I promise to help you as much as I can (by
answering questions and maybe by helping with the testing) if you wish to
continue with the work started by Harald, Gunnar and myself.

Olaf