[Kde-accessibility] Project Announce: AT-SPI D-Bus

Mark Doffman mark.doffman at codethink.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 16:59:56 CET 2008

Hello,

A new project has recently been added to freedesktop.org that aims to
translate the AT-SPI interface to D-Bus and provide API compatible
replacements for the AT-SPI libraries. The project was started with
GNOME's deprecation of CORBA in mind, but also with the goal of
providing cross-desktop accessibility.

The libraries provided are currently fairly GNOME-centric. There are
replacements for the GNOME AT-SPI libraries - the atk-adaptor, plus 'C'
and Python client bindings. Our goal is to provide a QT adapter to the
AT-SPI D-Bus protocol, so that QT applications will be made accessible
in GNOME, and to open up the possibility of sharing an accessibility
infrastructure between the two desktops.

I am currently starting the work of producing a QT adapter for QT4 based
of the QT D-Bus accessibility bridge.
(http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/QDBusBridge)

The repository with the GNOME replacement libraries is available at:

http://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/at-spi2/at-spi2-core.git
or
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/at-spi2/at-spi2-core.git

Included in this codebase is:

A D-Bus version of the ATK bridge library.
A D-Bus version of the AT-SPI Registry daemon.
A D-Bus version of the pyatspi library.
A D-Bus version of the cspi library (Currently in disrepair)
The D-Bus AT-SPI specifications.

A page detailing the current status of the project and instructions for
testing are located at http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/AT-SPI_on_D-Bus.

The mailing list for the project is
accessibility-atspi at lists.linux-foundation.org.

Thanks