[Kde-accessibility] functions for simulating color blindness?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Thu Jan 24 18:06:44 CET 2008

DAVID KNIGHT wrote:
> This any good? Sorry if it's not, I don't know much about coding ;)
> Package libcolorblind-dev

As I already told Carlos Diógenes, that, unfortunately, is roughly the opposite of what I am trying to do (although it would make a rather more sensible addition to kmag, similar to how gnome-mag is using it). At some point, I think it would be a good idea to add both Daltonizing and libcolorblind to kmag (or to some program, anyway; the gnome people noted that gnome-mag is perhaps not the obvious place to look for such functionality - honestly, though, I think we need to address the awareness issue, rather than create a new app, as I think it makes sense to combine kmag and this other stuff).

> Package libgraphics-colordeficiency-perl
> http://packages.debian.org/colo

Interesting, if cryptic. It seems to operate on HSL/HLS space, however, rather than LMS space as all the algorithms I've looked at so far do. Thanks for the pointer.

Now... if anyone can figure out what the E and A vectors are in "Computerized simulation of color appearance for dichromats" (Hans Brettel et al)[1], *that* would be enormously helpful. Currently I'm trying to reverse-engineer the values based on some of the sample "palettes" I've found scattered about the web. Mighty impolite that everyone uses that paper but no one has published usable algorithms for it, yet :-(.

1: http://vision.psychol.cam.ac.uk/jdmollon/papers/Dichromat_simulation.pdf

--
Matthew