[Kde-accessibility] Qts accessibleNames & accessibleDescriptions

Jeremy jeremy at scitools.com
Wed Feb 20 15:54:58 CET 2008

On Saturday 09 February 2008 07:32:54 Peter Grasch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am currently in the process of writing a screen-reader-like application
> utilizing the DBUS accessibility bridge
> (http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/QDBusBridge).
>
> While trying it out, I realized that pretty much no program correctly sets
> these properties (they are properties of QWidget) - not even for the main
> window.
>
> Is there a particular reason / alternative way of determining that
> information that I don't know about?
>
> Because setting these properties would:
> * Help Screenreaders and other accessibility software to correctly "read"
> the application
> * NOT decrease performance (qt does this by collecting all its
> accessibility information in "plugins" which only get loaded if needed
> (i.e. accessibility features activated)) / increase RAM usage
>
> Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -- Peter

Peter,

I didn't realize the implication of this e-mail until I just wrote that other
one to Meftah,  do you know how to add these properties to our apps?  An
article on techbase explaining how/why to do this would probably benefit KDE
in general, and help your app progress faster. (I'd be willing to write it
with some time beforehand to understand the process if you'd like me to)

BTW, what is your app called, and how screen-reader-like is it exactly? (i.e.
is it missing a few features to be useful as a screen reader?)

thanks,
Jeremy