[Kde-accessibility] Please Give Me a Screen Reader for KDE

Jeremy jeremy at scitools.com
Wed Feb 20 15:51:41 CET 2008

hi,

That caught me off guard.  I guess it's not really a screen reader in the
sense that it describes everything going on on the screen...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers lists some screen readers
(mostly for windows) but there are a couple opensource offerings like
Emacspeak, Gnopernicus, and Orca.  I have not used any of those before, so am
not sure what to recommend, I do know that if web is the only thing needed,
you can use kttsd in konqueror to read web content, and you can set it up to
speak notifications (like instant messages or e-mail arrivals) but am not
sure if it can be used as a screen reader.

So list, what can we do about this? I'm definitely no accessibility expert,
but it seems Qt supports accessibility
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/QDBusBridge as was
mentioned by Peter Grasch a couple weeks ago on this list.  Seems like we
might want to try to push a policy in kde apps to get this accessibility
information added to them. Or at least figure the framework out and put up a
techbase article showing devs how to add this information.  Comments?

Jeremy