[Kde-accessibility] Quotation marks in german translation

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Feb 13 17:21:40 CET 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 17:09:33 Gerrit Sangel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the german translation, " is still used, even though the correct
> quoation marks are „“.
>
> I wrote this to the German translation mailing list, but they were a bit
> wary that these quotation marks could interfere with some accessibility
> applications, even though I doubted it.
>
> But I do not want to cause problems with accessibility programmes, so I
> thought I should ask here.
>
> So, would it cause any problems if the " is replaced by „“?
>
> Some other characters which I would also like to replace are:
>
> - with –
> ... with …
> ' with ’ or ‚‘
>
> and some others, which currently do not come to my mind.
>
> Or does some screen reader or so depend on these characters?

More than accessibility, the problem could be that iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15
charsets do not have those characters. This can be a problem if non utf-8
locales are still in use.

I'd be interested in possible issues too, especially since we introduced
the «» quotation marks in the Italian translations, and I hope these would
not be a problem.

I'd actually like to use the ellipses (but how do you type them?) and the
n-dash when it makes typographical sense.

I also had a patch for the Italian .po files to use ←,→ in the menus instead
of "Sinistra" and "Destra", which would directly map to key labels, but as
well was not sure if it would break on system without the proper fonts.

Luciano