[Kde-accessibility] problem with screenreader

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Apr 29 00:26:07 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 17:42 +0200, aquila wrote:
> Hello, I'm an Italian blind user and I'm looking
> for a screenreader or text-to-speech application
> that could allow me to use graphical application
> such a web browser, a newsgroup reader,
> OpenOffice...
> I configurated kttsd with the Italian voice of
> Festival but I encountered a problem that make
> that application almost useless: if I try to have
> read long texts (for example an entire web page
> or a long post) it does not speak at all, it
> speaks and works only with short texts. I also
> installed gnopernicus in kde but I cannot make it
> speak. I have kubuntu and kde 3.5.8. Could you
> help me? Could you give me some instructions
> (more precise possible because of my blindness)
> to make work on kde a screenreader?

Hello,

Would be it possible for you to mouse-click over a small
area of text--say, a few to several lines, or as many as kttsd will
handle--
until this problem is resolved?

Alternately, since you are using Ubuntu, you might use the lynx
browser to download the web file as Text-only, and then use the "split"
utility
to divide the text file into the kinds of short text files that will
work.

best wishes!

gary kline