[Kde-accessibility] punctuation or other improvments?

Gary Kline kline at ethos.thought.org
Sun Oct 28 01:46:07 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 12:14 +0100, Jonathan Duddington wrote:
> On 27 Oct, Gary Kline <kline at ethos.thought.org> wrote:
>
> > 	Thanks for  the URL's.  Do you know if these just install in
> > /usr/local/* and are understood automatically?  or if I need to do
> > some by-hand configuration?
>
> Packages for eSpeak are available for various Linux distributions.  If
> you are installing manually, instructions are in:
>   http://espeak.sf.net/commands.html
>
> It includes how to set up eSpeak as a "talker" in the KDE speech
> manager.
>
> > 	Re "essay" and many other words (and punctuation), I started to
> > create my own filter(s).  After I signed up to list list I discovered
> > there are more phonic dictionaries that I'd hoped for.   The thing is:
> > do I want to make my own fixes or get the latest files?  A lot of the
> > stuff I'm working with is my own writing and others and deals with
> > things not that commonly discussed.
>
> > Do you know if there is one central place that has the newest voices,
> > or is it pretty much look and see?
>
> I don't know anything about dictionary or voice updates for Festival.

	Then perhaps you can tell me the relationship between Alan Black's
"Festival" and "espeak"; there is a suite of three speech utilities
named "*mbrola" that have not up updated on my version of BSD for two
years.   I would like to use the leading synthsizer--the one most
actively being developed.

> For eSpeak if you find pronunciation errors, you can email them to me
> and I'll fix them.  Alternatively you can make your own pronunciation
> exceptions list in  dictsource/en_extra  and then re-compile the
> pronunciation dictionary with:
>   espeak --compile=en

	I'll do both; or try!  My background is as a systems analyst,
in porting code, and in operating system test.   I know nearly 0.0 about
the audio or video side of computers.  At any rate, I'm back in schhool
studying ethics  [[philosophy]]; it is in this area where some of the
default "talkers" mispronunciations stem.  Not all; some of the words
are more common.  (I don't mean "read" [reed] and "read" [red]; this is
an AI/syntactical/linguistics problem.  --I'll send you some words,
off-list.

> Details are in  http://espeak.sf.net/dictionary.html  in the section
> Pronunciation Dictionary List, or see  dictsource/en_list  as an
> example.

	Thanks for your pointers.