[Kde-accessibility] curent state of kttsd infromation request

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Thu Nov 15 03:01:37 CET 2007

Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> Sebastian Sauer wrote:
>>> whats the current state of kttsd for kde4/qt4
>>> is it ready for testing ?
>>> is it still maintaned ?
>>> any major problems or bugs
>>
>> since so far nobody else did reply; just a few days ago I saw some
>> commits related to kttsd, so seems work is going on on it :)
>> I guess quit a few ppl are on there way to prepare the KDE 4.0 release
>> what means mostly trying to fix bugs rather then improving things.
>>
> Actually, David sent this e-mail after I came  into irc asking about the
> status of things.  I took the silence from this e-mail and my finding of
> some bugs in kttsd as motivation to fix some.  So those checkins were
> myself and Oliver (knotify dude) trying to make sure things are somewhat
> functional for the 4.0 release. :)

hehe. Now, that are really great news! :)

>>> it can be a bit disconcerting not knowing whats happening when asked
>>>
> What I understand from speaking with some on irc #kde4-devel etc. is
> that Gary is no longer able to work on this, but has done some
> iterations of porting it to kde4 (back when kde4 libs were still
> unstable) and just probably needs a bit of touch up to get it up to par
> for the release (at least that's what I've experienced personally in
> trying to use kttsd in kde4 so far :)

to bad re Gary :-/ he landed really great work, specialy for our
KOffice-users. Also he at least started to work on integration of Orca with
dbus ( http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/accessibility/orca-dbus/ ) to
allow to integrate it easy into KDE4. Through I've no idea how far it
progressed.

> Any help is appreciated, and I plan only to focus on bugs at this point,
> but if wanted/needed, I'll take on more as time permits.

This would be really cool.  Thank you so much for that! To bad I can't clone
myself (without waiting at least ~14years till the result can start coding)
and looks as I am already at to much things in parallel leaving zero time :-/

Re the current state; Looking at
http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/roadmap.html I do remember from
aKademy2006 a talk about http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/accessible.html and
just discovered, that there was great work done at
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Overview related to integration. The roadmap (
http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/roadmap.html ) says, that
dbus-integration is completed what may mean, that at least all the basic work
is done, or?!