[Kde-accessibility] OpenOffice and KDE4 Accessiibilty [was: Orca/KDE Integration]

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 6 20:09:56 CEST 2006

Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

>Hi Bill!
>
>The Qt integration of OpenOffice aims to make OpenOffice blend in nicely with
>KDE. Of course it makes sense for the integration code to also support
>accessibility features.

Hi Olaf:

Yes - making OpenOffice blend in nicely with KDE is a good thing for
users of the KDE desktop.

>Is the Java accessibility bridge independent of the widget style that is used
>in OpenOffice, i.e. does it run both with the Gtk and the Qt integration
>code?

It is independent as far as I know.  The ATK bridge is much more
performant however, so if there is a clean way to enable the ATK bridge
when the KDE desktop is in use, it could still be the best way to export
the UNO Accessibility API  in the KDE desktop environment.

> If this is the case, then I agree that extra work would be totally
>unnecessary here. Otherwise I see no reason to discourage the KDE integration
>developers from considering accessibility in their code - even if OpenOffice
>could use Gtk as an accessibility fallback for KDE in the short term.

I agree; but since OpenOffice uses VCL instead of native widgets for
most of its content, the decision to use ATK doesn't imply GTK+.  ATK
has no GTK+ dependencies, and so if OOo's ATK bridge has GTK+
dependencies then they must be incidental ones which could be avoided in
the KDE DE.

Best regards,

Bill