[Kde-accessibility] Timeframe for KDE 4

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Mon Feb 20 19:28:32 CET 2006

Hello,

As you may know I am one of the members of the Technical Working Group
(TWG). In order to make sure that the decisions made in the TWG are
acceptable by the HCI related projects I would like to get some overview
about the planned features and the expected time that is required in order
to implement them.

I know about the following efforts:

1. Integrate support for screen readers and other assistive technologies
into KDE (via QAccessible and Qt-SPI)

In order to support assistive technologies in KDE we need to provide
QAccessible information for all KDE widgets that are not based on Qt
Widgets or that significantly change purpose of the widget. Implementing
this information can be done without heavy changes to the API, but it
requires a lot of work which can start as soon as we have a tool for
testing the information. Harald Fernengel will provide us with that tool
as soon as we have DBUS support in KDE.

2. Updated guidelines and widgets for colors, fonts and icons

Olaf, Ellen and I are currently discussing new guidelines for colors, fonts
and icons (we intend to send them to the HCI list for a discussion
sometime in the next days). These guidelines will require some changes
both to kdelibs and to many applications. Implementing the changes in
kdelibs is not much work (can be done in less than a week), but for
changing the application we would like to have the help of the individual
application developers.

3. Implement the usability enhancements shown on
http://test.openusability.org/wiki_ou/index.php/Libs

4. Changes to KTTSD

For KDE 4 there are a number of changes to the KDE Text-To-Speech system.
They include:
- Integrating  kttsd, KSayIt, the various kttsd plug-ins for kate /
katepart / khtmlpart / koffice, and maybe kabook into a consistent user
interface
- Move KTTSD to SpeechDispatcher.
- Simple speech feedback (focus tracking, mouse-over, etc.) for use with or
without a magnifier

5. Improving existing KDE Accessibility programs (and possibly including
some new ones)

Open questions are:
- How much time do we need for implementing the above efforts?
- Who will implement the kdelibs changes for 2.? It can be done by the
people involved in the kdeaccessibility project, but that will delay other
important accessibility work.
- Did I forget important HCI-related efforts that need to be considered in
the release planning for KDE 4?