[Kde-accessibility] Click and Drag

Deri James deri at chuzzlewit.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 03:02:54 CEST 2005

Hi Gunnar,

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2005 12:43, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> Hello Deri,
>
> On Tuesday 27 September 2005 02:12, Deri James wrote:
> > All physical disabilities pose different problems, in my case I have
> > problems with fine motor control.
> >
> > There is one area of KDE which can cause me some frustration. Menu Items
> > are now draggable (with cursor showing whether what you are dragging to
> > is sensible or not (the "no entry" sign)), however, due to my hand
> > shake, a single click is often detected as the start of a drag.
> > [...]
>
> In the KDE Control Center (module Peripherals->Mouse, tab Advanced) you can
> specify both the drag start time and the drag start distance. You may want
> to increase both (the time can be increased up to two seconds, and the
> distance to twenty pixels). If these two settings do not have an effect,
> this should be fixed as then it is a bug.

Aah, this is it. It may take a bit of time to find optimum settings but it has
definitely "de-sensitized" the effect. Many thanks.

> By the way: Which version of KDE are you using and where did you find these
> draggable menu items? I wanted to test the settings, but I did not find
> draggable menu items.

Open the K-Menu. Any item which would run a program, rather than open a
sub-menu, can be dragged. I suppose this is to allow you an easy way to set
up Desktop shortcuts. I am using KDE 3.4, and I think this behaviour is
relatively new (I may well be wrong, but I don't remember getting "ticked
off" with it before!!).

> Gunnar Schmi Dt

Thanks again.

Deri