[Kde-accessibility] Fwd: Re: Accessibility for persons with disabilities

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 17:06:54 CEST 2005

Hmm, can anyone say "synchronicity"?  See my message yesterday in this mailing
list concerning the VPAT.  David, are you subscribed to
kde-accessibility at kde.org?  If not, I'll forward you a copy of the draft VPAT
for KDE 3.4.1.

Since these guys are in the U.S., compliance with Section 508 of the U.S.
Rehabilitation Act is a big concern for them.  That's what the VPAT is all
about.  Its a way for software "vendors" to voluntary assess their own
compliance with 508.  If a product is fully compliant, its an easy way for
software selection bodies to just point to the VPAT and check the 508
compliance check box.  If they choose software that is not compliant, they
risk being sued.

How we answer Mr. Lazarro's inquiry is important because Massachusetts is
pushing hard for software that uses open standards.

The bad news is that KDE 3.4/3.5 is not fully 508 compliant, especially for
the blind, without resorting to Harald Fernengel's experimental AT-SPI
bridge.  KDE/Qt 4 will change that drastically.  Its my goal for KDE 4 to be
fully 508 compliant.

I'm reluctant to speak for the KOffice folks, as I'm not fully informed.  My
guess is that KOffice "inherits" most of the KDE VPAT, but it would be best
if a KOffice specific VPAT were prepared.  For instance, if there are places
in KOffice that use hard-coded colors, these should be enumerated as
exceptions (and fixed).  Also, obviously Krita (and Karbon?) are exceptional
applications for the blind as these apps are intended for sighted users.

So how should we proceed to answer Mr. Lazzaro's inquiry?  Is there someone
within the KOffice community willing to prepare a VPAT?  I guess I could take
a shot at it, but I'd need some help from the KOffice developers.

BTW, the VPAT is a very crude way to assess accessibility capabilities.  A
separate guide (or part of the application Handbook), would be much better
way to convey accessibility information for applications, and software
distributors will want such information anyway.