[Kde-accessibility] Speaking KMail

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 09:58:10 CEST 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 04:58 pm, Mario Fux wrote:
> Good morning
>
> Mostly, I just lurking on this mailinglist. I'm quite interested in this
> topic and saw one of your presentation at Linuxtag2005.
>
> Anyway. In the last days I thought about "speaking" KDE and what visually
> impaired people need most on a desktop and after Konqueror has some speech
> output the next logical step (perhaps after kpdf, but...) would be KMail
> with speech output.
>
> Are you about this or are you waiting for KDE 4 where the accessibility
> infrastructure in KDE should be ubiquitious?

Accessibility work on KDE 3.5 is mostly finished.  We are now doing the
planning for KDE4.  With the Qt4 accessibility interface automatically
incorporated into every KDE widget plus the AT-SPI integration that Harald
Fernengel is working on, we finally have a robust framework in which we can
accessibility-enable KDE applications.  KMail would certainly be a good
application to concentrate on.

We are currently thinking about ways to do this in a flexible and efficient
manner.  One thought, for example, is to add onto the accessibility
information already provided by Qt by adding modules that understand document
content.  For example, to provide robust navigation within a mail document,
one needs to know where the paragraphs are, which ones are quoted, what
attachments are included, etc.

If you are interested in helping with this effort, that would be welcome.
Even if you are not a programmer, you can help with testing, concept
development, and documentation.  If you haven't already looked at it, I
recommend http://accessibility.kde.org as a starting point.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer