[Kde-accessibility] PDF accessibility

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Thu Sep 1 12:04:23 CEST 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 05:09 am, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> >
> >Olaf Schmidt mentioned that we ought to have support for Accessibility PDF
> >docs in KDE and that should be a goal for KPDF.  I doubt however that most
> >documents are Accessibility PDF, so we still need a solution for them.
> >Someone should also take a look at the PDF printer and other PDF output
> >capabilities in KDE to ensure they produce Accessibile PDF.  I am pretty
> > sure the PDF Printer does not as it tends to produce image only.
>
> Note also that there is more to PDF accessibility than just text
> extraction; use cases such as magnification and physical/mobility
> restrictions place other requirements on the the viewer.  For instance,
> character position and bounds coordinates for onscreen PDF text, and
> keyboard navigation via a text caret, are both needed.  This means that
> just pulling out the "accessibility tags" even for "accessibile PDF"
> isn't sufficient.

The immediate goal is to speak pdfs, but you are quite right about other uses.
Brad is trying to develop a general module for converting pdfs to xml.  The
module could be used as a plugin for KPDF, but perhaps also in a general
screen reader.  The idea is to develop a series of loadable modules for
extracting accessibility information from document contents.  The module
would probably be loaded based on mime type and perhaps would interface with
AT-SPI.  Do you know if there has been any work on a standard for such a
thing?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer