[Kde-accessibility] Re: accessibility misfeatures

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Sat Jan 8 16:02:24 CET 2005

Hello,

For those of you that do not know the features that can be enabled by
keyboard gestures I will give a short description:

Sticky Keys: Usefull if you cannot press two keys simultaneously. Basicly
the modifier keys work like lock keys. (Keyboard gesture: press Shift 5
consecutive times)

Slow keys: Usefull if you have shivery fingers. Here you need to press each
key a certain time before it gets accepted.  (Keyboard gesture: press
Shift for about 8 seconds)

Mouse Keys: You can control your mouse with the keyboard. (Keyboard
gesture: depends on your keyboard layout, often it ie Shift+Num Lock)

Bounce keys: Also usefull if you have shivery fingers. Here a key is
blocked a certain time after you have released it. In order to press it
again, wait until it is not blocked anymore.  (Keyboard gesture: none that
I know about.)

Both these features and their gestures are defined by X. You often refer to
them as AccessX features.

On Saturday 08 January 2005 15:23, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Saturday 08 January 2005 14:57, mETz wrote:
> > On Samstag Januar 8 2005 13:46, Anders Lund wrote:
> > > How do i turn that
> > > off completely? I really want to be able to hold my keys down for as
> > > long as i want without worrying about it changing how my keyboard
> > > works!
> >
> > by reading the warning message thoroughly and then go to the kcm it
> > mentions.
> >
> > Bye, Stefan aka mETz
>
> No means for turning it off completely is offered. No matter which
> checkboxes I check there, I may accidentially enable those features.
> [...]

You can prevent that by disabling the checkbox "Use gestures to activate
the above features".

> In my opinion it should be possible to prevent that, and even they tried
> to make it hard to toggle those features by accident, they should be
> entirely disabled as default. Those who need them will know to enable
> them I'm sure.

Those who need some of the AccessX features do not necessarily know the way
of starting the KDE Control Center, choosing the
Regional&Accessibility/Accessibility tab and finding the features there.
Even if they know that way it might be hard for them to do that because
they need these features in order to do that.

On the other hand those who do not need these features are can deactivate
it without problems.

Maybe we could add a button "Start the Accessibility KCM" in the dialog,
though.

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package