[Kde-accessibility] Question: How can I improve my app (kdeedu/kalzium)

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 4 20:52:10 CET 2005

Hi Carsten,

Looking at the app, there are two basic routes you can go (and they aren't
mutually exclusive):

  1. do work to make the app as self-accessible as possible (your idea
     of Alt-F2, Ctrl-up/ctrl-down are in this vein)
  2. do work to make the app compatible with external assistive technologies

For the former, I suggest a dialog box you can trivially pop up into which you
enter the atomic element, or one/two-letter name, to select it.  Also allow
color modification and have an option that respects the desktop color settings
(to address a variety of color blindness and color/contrast impairments).

For the latter, I suggest you make every entry on the table a focusable button
you can tab to & through.  Implement the Qt accessility api on these buttons
(see the work being done for the next major release).  Then test for
compatibility with Gnopernicus and GOK.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team