[Kde-accessibility] Some AT-SPI questions

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Dec 21 19:28:22 CET 2005

Hi!

I just saw I have used unclear wording in a couple of places.

[ Olaf Jan Schmidt ]
> If we want to get rif of this additional bridge and glib/ORBit2 dependency,
> we have two options, as Bill pointed out:

We could also combine the two options, e.g. use an IDL compiler on the glib
side and DCOP on the KDE side.

> 1. We could write an IDL compiler for DBUS. Such a compiler would need to
> have at least two modes (C/glib mode and C++/Qt mode).
>
> 2. On the glib/Gtk/GNOME side, the ORBit2 library could be changed to use
> DBUS internally. On the Qt/KDE side, we will already decided to do the same
> with DCOP. If we manage to coordinate this properly, then we can two fully
> compatible bindings for DBUS-AT-SPI, one C++/Qt/DCOP-style, the other
> C/glib/CORBA-style.

Of course an IDL compiler for DBUS would generate exactly the same API as the
IDL compiler of ORBit2, which means that the "C/glib"-style and the
"C/glib/CORBA"-style APIs would be identical. Only the underlying libraries
would be different.

But on the Qt side, there would be differences in the API between using DBUS
directly or via DCOP.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of