[Kde-accessibility] Some AT-SPI questions

Leo Spalteholz leo.spalteholz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 19:52:43 CET 2005

Thanks for all your input.

> Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> Leo Spalteholz:
>> I've been looking into AT-SPI lately,
>
> Great!

Girlfriend's gone home for the holidays, more time to hack! ;)

On 12/16/05, Bill Haneman <Bill.Haneman at sun.com> wrote:
> The only thing that strikes me as possibly a little odd is the
> continuing use of the term "KDE developers" in the context of AT
> clients.  I would prefer to just say "developers" in this context; in
> what sense are they "KDE" rather than some other sort of developer, or
> perhaps new developers without such a strong "brand loyalty" ?

Yes, the way I understand it, people writing accessibility clients
shouldn't be concerned with whether the users' apps are GTK or QT or
what have you as long as they export the correct AT-SPI info.  (oddly
enough, GOK cannot grab the menus of firefox, although I think Firefox
does support AT-SPI.  Maybe only FF1.5 works properly in that respect)

> >1.  How can KDE developers write KDE 3 AT clients today (using ATK bridge)?
> >

> The ATK bridge isn't needed by the AT client; it is used to 'export'
> accessibility info from ATK-implementing applications to AT-SPI.  So an
> AT client using the KDE 3 libraries would need, at present, to speak the
> AT-SPI "interface protocol", the simplest way is to link to libspi
> (which for the time being pulls in ORBit2) or to use other bindings such
> as the pyOrbit bindings.

Ok.  So my best bet, writing a client using Qt would be to use libspi.
 Is that the one documented here:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/at-spi/ ?

Leo