[Kde-accessibility] Re: Change in kicker behavior: Bug or feature

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Oct 16 19:19:05 CEST 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 09:24, Dan Bullok wrote:
> I think scaling is definitely the way to go.  I did this unless the
> "Conserve Space" option in quicklauncher is enabled, and I think the
> smooth-scaled icons look good.  In fact, I think that adding a "Conserve
> Space"option for most applets would be a good idea.

i'd prefer to see either a kicker-global or a per-panel "Conserve Space"
option rather than per-applet...

> For example, I really
> like the System Monitor applet, but on a wide vertical panel, it wants to
> be square.  It's huge.  Changing the bar graph orientation to horizontal
> would conserve lots of space, and make it look like it does on a horizontal
> kicker.  KWeather could also stand a tweak like this.  Many apps look silly
> on a vertical kicker because they're huge and don't attempt to conserve
> space by changing the layout. But for the visually impaired, huge applets
> make lots of sense.

i'm forwarding this on to the accessibility list to get their input on this as
this is their area of specialty. they may have other input when it comes to
kicker, as well.

> Unfortunately for now, some applets ALWAYS conserve
> space on a horizontal kicker, and NEVER conserve space on a vertical
> kicker.  This is on my to-do list, but not near the top.

you have a kicker TODO list? great! if you have anything resembling concrete
plans, i wouldn't mind knowing them just so i can stay out your way and
coordinate with others... =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo