[Kde-accessibility] Re: getting text to speech software ????

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 6 14:14:16 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:04, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Of course Festival _can_ do more; the main reason I suggested Festival
> for "simple" use rather than complex purposes is that the Festival APIs
> for complex use are less well documented and a little less familiar.
> (Basically you have an API using the Scheme language, or poorly
> documented C++ festival APIs).  As long as you can get by using the
> basic festival_server interface, I agree that festival is a good choice,
> and you avoid the Java dependency.

I would add here that when I called Java "more familiar", I mean that
Java is familar to more people than Scheme.  I would recommend flite
over Festival for any sophisticated project at this time, despite the
fact that Festival is included with most linux distros, as a better
choice for active development.

It probably doesn't matter for the original poster's purposes, as it
sounds as though reading a text file and capturing the audio output
would suffice.

- Bill