[Kde-accessibility] [Announce] Revisions to KDE Text-to-Speech System (KTTS)

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Fri Nov 5 04:11:17 CET 2004

Changes to KTTS.

1.  Users can now configure more than one instance of a plugin.  A configured
instance of a plugin is now called a "Talker".

2.  Applications may control which talker will speak their output by
specifying a Talker Code in their DCOP calls to KTTSD.  See the KTTS API doc
at the link in my sig for more info.

3.  Users may change the Talker for a queued text job.

4.  There is a KTTS Handbook available.  A copy is online at

  http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/handbook/index.html

5.  The GUI has been simplified some and is hopefully easier for users to
understand.  Feedback is welcome.  Even if you can't download and install
KTTS, you can see the screens in the Handbook linked above.

The kcmkttsmgr Control Center module is now obsolete.  However, it is still
installed as a duplicate of kcmkttsd.  Robert Vogl, please change from
kcmkttsmgr to kcmkttsd.  Thanks.

A few weeks ago, I renamed many of the installed library and desktop files.
The /kdenonbeta/kttsd/clean_obsolete.sh script will clean out the old
versions of the files from your system.

None of these changes should impact existing applications employing KTTS.
However, they required a lot of code changes throughout the system, so there
will probably be a bug or two.  If you experience trouble, please contact me
via email.  I also hang out at irc.kde.org in channel #kde-accessibility.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer