[Kde-accessibility] Proposol (with implementation) for synthesizer interface

Roger Butenuth butenuth at online.de
Wed Mar 31 21:35:04 CEST 2004

Hello!

> > synth: Send a string to the synthesizer. Speaking can start, but it can
> > be delayed to flush.
>
> I don't fully understand this desciption.
> Do you have to call flush to get the text spoken?
> Or does it depend on whether flush was called any time before?

You have to call flush. It's the same as with fwrite/fflush for file I/O.
It makes things easy to use: If you want, you can send single characters.
When you want to make sure the text is spoken, you flush. The synthesizer
may speak earlier when it has a complete sentence, but it is not starting
on half words or half sentences.

> Our extended API could maybe look like this:

I would like to define the low level API in pure old ANSI-C.

>         virtual bool init(const QString &lang, KConfig *config);

I suppose we can get the coniguration variables from KConfig?

The rest of the API sound reasonable for me.

	Roger