[Kde-accessibility] UNIX Accessibility at CSUN 2004, hands-on sessions with assistive technologies and more

Peter Korn peter.korn at sun.com
Mon Mar 15 09:42:59 CET 2004

Greetings,

Sun Microsystems, Inc. is hosting a series of sessions on UNIX Accessibility
at the CSUN Conference on Technology and Persons with Disabilities at the
Los Angeles Airport Marriott Hotel next week, on March 18th.  This series of
five sessions begins Thursday morning at 8am on March 18th in the
Atlanta-Boston room, and is part of the general CSUN conference.  The
sessions will detail the accessibility features and functionality being
built into the Sun Java Desktop System, and into the GNOME graphical desktop
environment available for Solaris, GNU/Linux, and UNIX systems.  In these
sessions we will also demonstrate the accessible StarOffice 7 office suite
(and the closely related OpenOffice.org open source office suite) on both
the Sun Java Desktop System and on Microsoft Windows, as well as other
critical desktop productivity applications that come with the Sun Java
Desktop System such as Evolution for e-mail and calendaring, Mozilla for web
browsing, and the accessibility features of the Java platform.  We also
devote almost 3 hours of sessions to in-depth examinations of the open
source assistive technologies being developed: the Gnopernicus screen
reader/magnifier with rich Braille support, and the GOK dynamic on-screen
keyboard with support for single switch, scanning, and head tracker input.
Oracle Corporation will join the Gnopernicus presentation and demonstrate
the accessibility of Oracle developer tools under GNU/Linux.

In addition, Sun is leading a series of "Accessibility Experience" sessions
in the Washington room for small groups of participants all day Friday, and
Saturday morning March 19th and 20th.  These sessions will be hands-on
guided tours of the open source GNOME graphical desktop and applications
through the use of either the Gnopernicus screen reader/magnifier for GNOME,
or the GOK dynamic on-screen keyboard.  Participants will be shown the
highlights of the features of these two assistive technologies, and explore
their use on the GNOME desktop and with a variety of applications.  Make an
appointment to attend one of these sessions at Sun's booth in the Washington
room of the Marriott Hotel, or during the Thursday presentations in the
Atlanta-Boston room.

The open source approach to accessibility that these accessible applications
and assistive technologies are based on represent a new way of addressing
computer access issues.  This approach forms the basis of an international
standards effort developing free and open accessibility standards by the
Free Standards Group.  You can learn more about this work at a presentation
given by the Accessibility working group of the Free Standards Group on
Friday March 19th at 9:20am in room Newport C of the Hilton hotel.

The Sun Accessibility team invites everyone who has an interest in finding
out the latest information about accessibility to UNIX systems, including
access to Solaris and GNU/Linux, to join us for these in-depth presentations
and hands-on sessions with the technologies.  Attached below is information
about this series of presentations.  We hope you can join us.

We also invite you to visit us at our booth in the Washington room of the
Marriott Hotel, and see the accessibility work in the Sun Java Desktop
System, in the open source GNOME desktop, the latest in Java technology
accessibility and access to Java applications from the Microsoft Windows
desktop, and accessibility in Oracle technologies through the Java
accessibility architecture on both the GNOME and Microsoft Windows desktops.

On behalf of Sun Microsystems,

Peter Korn
Sun Microsystems Accessibility team
access at sun.com
http://www.sun.com/access

    CSUN Conference on Technology and Persons with Disabilities
       UNIX Accessibility sessions, Thursday March 18th, 2004
   Atlanta-Boston rooms of the Los Angeles Airport Marriott Hotel
                  hosted by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  8:00am-9:00am
  The Accessible Sun Java(TM) Desktop System
  This presentation will provide a guided tour of both the shipping
  Sun Java Desktop System (based on the GNOME 2.2 desktop and GNU/Linux),
  and the forthcoming open source GNOME 2.6 desktop - finally an accessible
  alternative to Microsoft Windows.  We will demonstrate the built-in
  accessibility features of these desktops.  Highlights include themeing
  support, the rich set of applications that are available and being made
  accessible, and brief demonstrations of the two assistive technologies
  in development: the Gnopernicus screen reader/magnifier with rich Braille
  support, and the GOK dynamic on-screen keyboard supporting single switch
  scanning and head trackers with dwell selection.

  Speaker:
      - Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  9:20am-10:20am
  StarOffice(TM) 7: The Accessible Office Suite
  In this presentation, we will provide a detailed look at StarOffice 7,
  and the accessibility features built into it on both the Sun Java Desktop
  and the Microsoft Windows environment.  StarOffice 7 provides word
  processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications, as well as a
  programmable database.  StarOffice also provides for interoperability
  with Microsoft Office file formats.  Our presentation will detail the
  built-in accessibility features of the word processing, spreadsheet, and
  presentation packages.  We will show how StarOffice supports the desktop
  theme, mouseless operation, and assistive technologies on both the GNOME
  desktop with the Solaris Operating Environment and GNU/Linux, and also
  on the Microsoft Windows platform.

  Speakers:
      - Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      - Lynn Monsanto, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  10:40am-11:40am
  Evolution and Mozilla(TM) accessibility: e-mail and the web
  In this presentation, we will examine Evolution, an open-source e-mail
  and calendaring "look-alike" of Microsoft Outlook for UNIX and GNU/Linux
  systems; and Mozilla, the open-source web browser behind the popular
  Netscape and a number of other applications.

  Speaker:
      - Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  2pm-3pm
  GOK - the open source Dynamic On-screen Keyboard
  In this presentation, we will give a detailed demonstration of GOK,
  the open source GNOME on-screen keyboard, with support for single
  switch, scanning, dynamic keyboard functionality, and customizable
  displays.  We will demonstrate how users with severe physical
  impairments can be very effective and surprisingly efficient
  with the unique features of GOK that provide direct switch access to
  menus, toolbars, and the user interface elements in dialog boxes
  utilizing the accessibility architecture in the GNOME platform.
  GOK has been fully translated into 22 languages, and partially
  translated into another 13 languages - more than any other on-screen
  keyboard on the planet.

  Speaker:
      - Jan Richards, University of Toronto ATRC
      - Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  3:20pm-4:20pm
  Gnopernicus - the open source Screen Reader/magnifier
  In this presentation, we will give a detailed demonstration of the open
  source Gnopernicus screen reader/magnifier for GNOME desktop, with full
  Braille support.  We will demonstrate the features and functions of
  Gnopernicus, and show how a blind or visually impaired user can be
  effective with the GNOME desktop on a UNIX system.  Our presentation
  will be joined by members of the Oracle accessibility team, who will
  demonstrate Oracle developer tools working with Gnopernicus.
  The Gnopernicus graphical user interface has been fully translated into
  20 languages, and partially translated into another 10 languages - more
  than any other screen reader on the planet.  Furthermore, Gnopernicus
  supports over 50 Braille displays, again more than any other screen
  reader on the planet.

  Speaker:
      - Thomas Friehoff, BAUM Retec AG
      - Marc Mulcahy, Sun Microsystems, Inc.