[Kde-accessibility] KTTSD does not speak, no way to debug

Robert Vogl voglrobe at web.de
Fri Jul 30 19:39:17 CEST 2004

Am Donnerstag, 29. Juli 2004 22:37 schrieb Gary Cramblitt:
> On Thursday 29 July 2004 04:07 pm, Robert Vogl wrote:
> > Yes, I did (I know the kspeech API, because I plan to write a KTTSD
> > plugin for KSayIt).
>
> I would have thought you'd do it the other way 'round.  In other words,
> modify KSayIt to use KTTSD (as an option, similar to KMouth).  The KDE
> Speech API, although not "officicially" complete, is "stable" IMHO.

This was exactly what I'm doing. Currently KSayIt (version 0.7.x) interfaces
to MBrola as the only one built-in TTS system, i.e. it can only speak german.
To support other languages/TTS systems I remove all the TTS "functionality"
from the core App and put them into dynamically loadable plugins. Actually
I'm thinking about a plugin that enables KSayIt to speak via KTTSD.

> BTW, do you have any plans to move KSayIt into the KDE CVS repository?

Not at the moment. My time to work on this project is limited and I see it
more as a toy to keep the hacking fingers warm. Furthermore I think that
kttsdmgr/KMouth makes it obsolete. My decision depends on the feedback of the
next release.

Greetings,

--
Robert Vogl