[Kde-accessibility] Eye pointing devices

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 27 19:35:01 CET 2004

Hi Bill, Olaf,

>> Has anyone experiences with eye pointing devices under Linux?
>>
> Hi Olaf and Gunnar:
>
> Unfortunately I do not know of any eye-trackers available for Linux; I
> am only aware of Windows-based systems.  In theory a windows PC could be
> used to operate the eye tracker, which could be connected via a serial
> connection to a Linux box.

There are some two-PC solutions, where one PC simply pretends to be a mouse
and keyboard for the other.

> Eye trackers can be fatiguing for users with good optical muscle
> control, so this may be a difficult solution, and in any case it's
> expensive.  If at all possible, I would recommend trying a head-tracking
> system such as the Madentec "Tracker One".
>
> There are other possibilities, such as devices which detect changes in
> skin conductivity, etc. to trigger switches.  If your mother can control
> her blinking without too much fatigue, there are "headbands" which
> detect blinks.  These are not off-the-shelf items, unfortunately, they
> are research items.

The state of the art in skin conductivity is very disappointing.  These
systems take multiple seconds to detect a change - imagine a single switch
system where each press to 5-10 seconds to initiate.

> My guess is that some sort of switch-based device, with GOK used in
> scanning mode, is your best option.  The trick is finding a suitable
> method of triggering the switch.
>
> You might contact the University of Toronto's Adaptive Technology
> Research Center to see if they have experience with input devices for
> situations such as your mother's.  http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/
> David Bolter of GOK (david dot bolter at utoronto dot ca) is probably
> out of the office for a couple of days, I don't know, but it's worth
> contacting him; he may be able to point you to the right researcher(s).

Also contact the Dasher folks, who have done a lot of work with eye-gaze
technologies, and may well have tested them hooked up to Linux systems.  Try
Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org>, who has done a lot of the work
hooking up Dasher to the GNOME accessibility APIs.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team