[Kde-accessibility] Eye pointing devices

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 27 12:17:22 CET 2004

Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Has anyone experiences with eye pointing devices under Linux?

Hi Olaf and Gunnar:

Unfortunately I do not know of any eye-trackers available for Linux; I
am only aware of Windows-based systems.  In theory a windows PC could be
used to operate the eye tracker, which could be connected via a serial
connection to a Linux box.

Eye trackers can be fatiguing for users with good optical muscle
control, so this may be a difficult solution, and in any case it's
expensive.  If at all possible, I would recommend trying a head-tracking
system such as the Madentec "Tracker One".

There are other possibilities, such as devices which detect changes in
skin conductivity, etc. to trigger switches.  If your mother can control
her blinking without too much fatigue, there are "headbands" which
detect blinks.  These are not off-the-shelf items, unfortunately, they
are research items.

My guess is that some sort of switch-based device, with GOK used in
scanning mode, is your best option.  The trick is finding a suitable
method of triggering the switch.

You might contact the University of Toronto's Adaptive Technology
Research Center to see if they have experience with input devices for
situations such as your mother's.  http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/
David Bolter of GOK (david dot bolter at utoronto dot ca) is probably
out of the office for a couple of days, I don't know, but it's worth
contacting him; he may be able to point you to the right researcher(s).

best regards,

Bill