[Fwd: Re: [Kde-accessibility] Help for people with sight problems]

Anders Bruun Olsen anders at bruun-olsen.net
Thu Dec 9 09:22:36 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:34:22PM -0500, Maksim Orlovich wrote:
>> If not, is such a feature then planned and can anything be done to get
>> this feature here and now?
> Hi... Could your colleague perhaps try this little app and comment on
> whether it's doing the right thing? Here is how to install it:
> 1. compile it with g++ curhl.cpp -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -o curhl
> 2. Run kmenuedit. Add a menu entry for the binary to some remote corner of
> menu where it wouldn't bother the user. Uncheck the "use launch feedback
> icon"[1] At the bottom, there is a little "Current shortcut key" label
> with "None" as its appropriate setting. Select something appropriate. I
> used ctrl-shift-p. Save.
> Now, when the user presses the select shortcut, the app will pop up a
> bunch of concentric ... squares (sorry, too lazy to do circles for a
> prototype), centered around the cursor. A click anywhere should close it.
> (Though I probably should ask Seli to review the grab code, since I am not
> sure it's 100% safe).

It looks good, but I think it's not going to be deemed good enough by my
collegue since there is very little movement. If something was flashing
or otherwise moving, it would be better. I know that it probably does
help some, since spotting a large square like that should be a heck of
a lot easier than just a small cursor, but I still think that with no
actual movement or flashes or something like that, it's not going to be
effective enough.
Anyway, I can't get to my collegue today (thursday) since I am working
at home today, but tomorrow I will test out on her and post her feedback
here.

--
Anders
PGPKey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8BFECB41