[Fwd: Re: [Kde-accessibility] Help for people with sight problems]

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 9 03:34:22 CET 2004

Forgot to reply to the list itself...
Subject: Re: [Kde-accessibility] Help for people with sight problems From:
   "Maksim Orlovich" <mo85 at cornell.edu>
Date:    Wed, December 8, 2004 9:10 pm
To:      "Anders Bruun Olsen" <anders at bruun-olsen.net>

<snip>

> If not, is such a feature then planned and can anything be done to get
this feature here and now?

Hi... Could your colleague perhaps try this little app and comment on
whether it's doing the right thing? Here is how to install it:

1. compile it with g++ curhl.cpp -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -o curhl
2. Run kmenuedit. Add a menu entry for the binary to some remote corner of
menu where it wouldn't bother the user. Uncheck the "use launch feedback
icon"[1] At the bottom, there is a little "Current shortcut key" label
with "None" as its appropriate setting. Select something appropriate. I
used ctrl-shift-p. Save.

Now, when the user presses the select shortcut, the app will pop up a
bunch of concentric ... squares (sorry, too lazy to do circles for a
prototype), centered around the cursor. A click anywhere should close it.
(Though I probably should ask Seli to review the grab code, since I am not
sure it's 100% safe).
-Maks

[1] which sort of nearly does the right thing, but not really visibly enough