[Kde-accessibility] Help for people with sight problems

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Dec 8 19:34:26 CET 2004

Anders Bruun Olsen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We use KDE at work, and one of our employees has some slight sight
>problems, resulting in her having a difficult time spotting where the
>mouse pointer is. Once she has spotted it, she doesn't have a problem,
>but even moving the cursor around does not really help. In Windows there
>is a feature where if you hold down control (or something like that) for
>more than a few seconds visual rings will be generated around the
>pointer making it easier to spot.
>Does KDE have a similar feature to help spot where the pointer is on the
>screen?
>If not, is such a feature then planned and can anything be done to get
>this feature here and now?

This feature is available in GNOME - but it conflicts with assistive
technologies because it issues a passive grab on the control key.  The
conflict is less than it was originally because the grab parameters were
made more general - but such a feature must be implemented with caution.

- Bill