[Kde-accessibility] Re: KDE Doc: What mailinglist to use

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Aug 26 05:51:54 CEST 2004

I have many thoughts on the subjects touched in the top mail, so I'll split
the reply up in several mails.

We use multiple mailinglists to reduce traffic by narrowing its content. The
downside with multiple mailinglists is people only subscribe to a set of them
and hence miss what goes on on the others(communication overhead), and that
lists with too low traffic dies and witter away -- there are examples of
both. In other words, we don't want to add yet another mailinglist unless
it's necessary.

Is it suitable to start kde-guidelines, and if not, what should be used
instead?

There's /currently/ a lot of attention around this project, but it will run
over a long time and it's quite possible things naturally settle down or even
that people loose interest, get hit by a car, get a baby, etc., and then we
easily end in the situation where we have a "ghost" list; perhaps we will
have a little bit too much traffic initially if we choose an existing list,
but rather that than a dry river later on. Remember kde-usability-devel.

By choosing existing list(s) we gain the following advantages:

* Better exposure and larger idea flow. With a separate list, only those who
are
"hardcore writers" will be on the list, and this typical knowledge net
caused by different people who knows what goes on in all corners, and what's
relevant, is lost. All the expertise the people on the current lists have, is
missed.

* Free publicity and integration. For example, the HIG means everything to
usability development, and by having HIG development on kde-usability it
brings awareness and focus on the guidelines. Many people who (up till now I
guess) haven't participated in the KDE community would also easier slip in;
and this huge project come closer to the community(instead of a group of
wizards working far away on a cathedral).

* More relevant content. People don't want to know about Guidelines in
general, they want to participate in guidelines related to artwork,
accessibility, or usability.

What lists then?

Accessibility is a subset of usability(taking a certain user group in
consideration) and artwork is also a subset of usability(focuses on a certain
technical part, not widgets, but pictures and colors): The central subject of
all this is usability, and hence kde-usability is suitable as a main list.
kde-www would be used for technical issues(having all the people on that list
as help desk), and kde-a11n and kde-artists CC'd/mailed when those are more
suitable than kde-usability.

But isn't kde-usability a pain?

Personally, I think the last month have been outstanding: Big documentation
projects, two kick-ass reports, and a fruitful KControl thread. But right, it
can be noisy.

kde-usability doesn't need ignorance -- it need help. I think the list shows
the problems the open source community have with usability development; we
need to be able to handle the "ordinary" community, and by bringing high
quality discussions, competent people, and Real Work to that list it will
shape up. Combine moderation with kua8[1] which is my planned tool for
shaping up the list, and the result is a noise free list, and two subjects
automatically synced which would need extra work anyway. With good work we can
"ride the storm out" of kde-usability and wipe that problem away too.

BTW, assumptions from private mails with Ellen, reaches the conclusion she's
not on kde-core-devel nor kde-usability. On what lists are people? Isn't it a
good idea if people who are to maintain our guidelines are on our common
lists?

			Frans

1.
http://usability.kde.org/kua/current/kua8.php
What is KDE Usability Articles? More about that in another thread.