[Kde-accessibility] Re: K-ARTIST: KDE HIG, CIG and AG

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Aug 25 20:11:03 CEST 2004

Aaron Seigo wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> yesterday we had a lengthy and very productive BOF to discuss the creation of
> a new set of KDE development-related guidelines. members of the following
> groups where present:
>
>  Who     What
>  KDE accessibility   Team accessibility Guidelines (AG)
>  KDE Artists      Community Identify Guidelines (CIG)
>  KDE Usability Team  KDE Human Interface Guidelines (HIG)
>  KDE Documentation  provided docbook expertise
>  KDE developers   input and feedback from the developer's perspective
>
> we ended up with the following proposal:
>
> each of the three proposed guidelines will be authored in cooperation with the
> others since they all need to reference each other. for instance, the AG will
> often be referenced from the HIG and vice versa. when it comes to issues of
> splash screens and icon, the HIG will point to the CIG for matters of colour,
> dimensions and artistic layout.
>
> to facilitate this, we will probably be working in Docbook format in a CVS
> module (proposed name: kdeguidelines). Docbook should allow us to create html
> and print (e.g. PDF) versions of the guidelines as well as support the high
> degree of cross-referencing we desire.
>
> only the maintainers (more on them in a bit) will have commit rights and final
> paches to the guidliens will appear on a kde-guidelines list. this will allow
> domain-specific discussion to occur where appropriate with items considered
> ready by the respective teams to be reviewed for correctness. this is
> important as proposed usability guidelines may have accessibility impacts,
> for instance.
>
> each of the guidelines will have a pair of people responsible for the
> documents (the "maintainers"). the proposed maintainers, who were all present
> and agreed to the responsibilities, are:
>
>  AG  Olaf Schmidt and Gunnar Schmidt
>  CIG  Torsten Rahn and Ken Weimer
>  HIG  Ellen Reitmayr and Jan Muehlig
>
> this will keep the authorship process on track, though the actual authorship
> of the guidlines will not be only up to these people but all who would like
> to participate.
>
> the AG and CIG and both new to KDE, with the AG yet to be written. the CIG is
> well on its way, however. the HIG needs to be written from scratch, as the
> current set of guidelines is too limited even as a starting point. it is
> proposed that this new HIG will be made up of several parallel components,
> including:
>
>  Developer Guidelines
>   this part will appear much like our current guidelines: straight to the
>   point without much sidetracking into usability theory
>  Rational
>   this part will provide the usability reasoning and theory behind the
>   guidelines
>  Examples
>   code snippets, screenshots, etc demonstrating the guidelines in action
>  Usability Checklists
> [...]

I'm not sure what the point is here.

I see problems with the user interface design, icons, and styles.  It appears to
me that it won't be of much help to produce User (Human) Interface Guidelines
that specify the use of "magic buttons" and hidden configuration options that
confuse users and Guidelines for artwork that specify low contrast bluish icons
containing no black or dark lines (icons that have little information according
to classic information theory and are, therefore, not easy to see) and busy
styles (with signal to noise ratio issues) that are not easy to use.

So, the important issue is to establish what the usability mistakes are before
guidelines can be written to prevent them in the future.  After it is determined
what these usability mistakes are, it is probably more important to correct them
than to write guidelines.  But, if guidelines are needed as part of the process
to fix the problem, then that is what should be done.

And, yes such guidelines are needed and it would have been a good thing if they
had existed before some of the recent usability "improvements" were implemented
and before the Crystal icon theme and Keramik style were implemented.  Actually,
we have icons guidelines, but some of the Crystal icons that have too much
detail (e.g. Krita), and therefore have low usability in small sizes, were still
committed.

The major problem is, are the developers that implemented these serious
usability mistakes and those that produced the Crystal icons and the Keramik
style going to be willing to produce guidelines that recognize that mistakes
were made and that they need to be corrected.

--
JRT