[Kde-accessibility] DECtalk/Linux and other commercial speech synthesizers

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Aug 25 22:35:21 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 16:30, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Why don't you guys just write a gnome-speech plugin?  Or work with us to
> separate out the in-process gnome-speech driver layer from the
> CORBA/Bonobo outer layer?

I have expressed this idea several times to various members of the GNOME
Accessibility Project. Gary has already agreed to support such a common API.

At the conference here in Ludwigsburg I had some talks with Peter and with
Marco Skambraks (SuSE Blinux) about exactly this. I believe we should really
try to get a common speech synthesis defined, including the various console
screen readers that exists.

A common desktop API for speech synthesis would also be nice, but this is far
more difficult.

Olaf