=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_Re:_[Kde-accessibility]_KTTSD_does_not_speak, _no_way_to_debug?=

ojschmidt at kde.org ojschmidt at kde.org
Sun Aug 1 09:40:01 CEST 2004

Robert Vogl <voglrobe at web.de> schrieb am 30.07.2004, 19:39:17:
> I'm thinking about a plugin that enables KSayIt to speak via KTTSD.

KMouth allows you to either specify a simple command line or to use
kttsd. This is easier to implement than having extra plugins for this.
Introducing yet another system of plug-ins seems to be a lot of
overhead for me - kttsd is written to ensure that it is not necessary
to write the same functionality again and again.

Hopefully kttsd will be a part of KDE 4.0. KMouth will then always use
the kttsd API. The code for simple command lines will be removed.

> > BTW, do you have any plans to move KSayIt into the KDE CVS
> > repository?
>
> Not at the moment. My time to work on this project is limited and I
> see it more as a toy to keep the hacking fingers warm. Furthermore I
> think that kttsdmgr/KMouth makes it obsolete. My decision depends on
> the feedback of the next release.

I think KSayIt would make sense as part of kde-accessibility if it has a
clearly different purpose than KMouth - for example reading out longer
texts. It would be nice to also have an application that has a simple
editor window, highlighting the phrase that is currently read out.

kttsdmgr allows you to navigate all messages and texts that are
currently in the system. It is a powerful speech queue controlling
tool, not a simple-to-use text-to-speech application.

Olaf