[Kde-accessibility] Re: [Kwin] Sizes for the window borders

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Wed Sep 24 14:12:12 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 10:21, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2003 17:05, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just a few minutes ago I added the two decoration sizes BorderVeryHuge
> > and BorderOversized to the list of known border sizes (as the first part
> > of my entry "Add an option to allow wide borders to some of the window
> > decoration styles" in the feature plan).
>
> OK. I am not sure about the size names. I think of Huge to be larger than
> oversized, for example, and can you say 'very huge' in english? Maybe
> Enormous, or Gargantuan, or something is better. Maybe simply "largest"
> could do.

Well, the fact that the names don't reflect the sizes very well came to my
mind, too, after I saw how they look like: The "large" border isn't really
large when you compare it with sizes as "Huge" or "Oversized". The problem is
that the second-smallest size is called "Normal".

Maybe we can rename the sizes a little bit:

BorderTiny
BorderSmall (was BorderNormal, this is the default one)
BorderMedium (wasBorderLarge)
BorderLarge (was BorderVeryLarge)
BorderVeryLarge (was BorderHuge)
BorderHuge (wasBorderVeryHuge)
BorderLargest (was BorderOversized)

> > I also modified the Web decoration from kdebase and the KStep and Plastik
> > decorations from kdeartwork to respect these new border sizes. (They are
> > the only ones that currently both allow to specify a border size and are
> > ported to the new kwin API). I will add the possibility to set the border
> > size to the other decorations in the next few days.
>
> Respecting the border size hints in the laptop and b2 clients is on my todo
> list. But I want to port the CDE client to the new API first, since I think
> it is a good starting point for an accessible window decoration. Is that
> all right for you? In the BeeToo decoration I have code for variable border
> size. It can't yet be used for very large sizes, but I think I can adapt
> it.
> [...]
That sounds good, so I do not need to look into those decorations. From the
currently ported decorations there are KDE2, Keramik, ModSystem, Quartz, and
Redmond left. I will look into these. (I have already started with the KDE2
decoration.)

Gunnar Schmi Dt
- --
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package
http://accessibility.kde.org/