[Kde-accessibility] Option for large window borders

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Wed Sep 17 12:09:19 CEST 2003

Hello,

As the new window decoration API is now in the HEAD branch I have looked at
it, especially in the sense of the wide-borders feature (which I have added
to the planned-feature document).

As far as I have seen there is a method
KDecorationOptions::preferredBorderSize() that returns one of the values
BorderTiny, BorderNormal, BorderLarge, BorderVeryLarge, and BorderHuge.

If normal borders are 3 pixels wide and the size grows by 50 % for each larger
value (which is a maximum growth if we do not want to have gaps in the
sizes), then the border sizes would correspond to 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9. If we
allow bigger gaps then they could be 2, 3, 7, 11, and 15. Unfortunately, for
accessibility we need even wider borders than that.

As suggested within a mail thread on the kde-accessibility and kwin mailing
lists I would prefer a solution where the standard border size mechanism
allows the borders to get into sizes like 30 or 40 pixels (which is needed by
some people).

In that sense I want to suggest the following changes to the API:

1. Add the options BorderVeryHuge and BorderOversized.

2. Place a recommendation for the pixel width for the different sizes:
BorderTiny = 2-3 pixels
BorderNormal = 3-5 pixels
BorderLarge = 5-8 pixels
BorderVeryLarge = 8-12 pixels
BorderHuge = 12-18 pixels
BorderVeryHuge = 18-27 pixels
BorderOversized = 27-40 pixels

3. Add a virtual method which returns one of three values to the API:
BorderFixedSize -- the decoration cannot be resized (default)
BorderLargeSize -- the border supports the values between tiny and very large
BorderHugeSize -- the border supports all values

4. Add some possibility for specifying the border width to the window
decoration KCM. This could either be a combo box or a slider. (If we use a
slider, it should have the labels "Normal", "Large", and (if the decoration
supports huge borders) "Huge".

I can add these changes the CVS if they are accepted. However, I have an exam
on Monday, so I will implement the large (or huge) border feature next week
(so that it is ready by the 29th).

Gunnar Schmi Dt

P.S.:
I intentially wrote to the kwin list and cc'd to the core-devel and
accessibility lists, so please make sure you don't forget these ccs in your