[Kde-accessibility] Re: [Kwin] Size of window borders

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Tue Sep 16 15:26:46 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 13:48, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 12:59, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >
> >  Sorry. I noticed some mails from Luciano on the accessibility list
> > (about changing the CDE client IIRC), and I assumed he's subscribed there
> > and will take care of this.
>
> Well, those mails were cross-posted between the kde-core-devel and the
> kde-a11y mailing lists.

Yes, I am sorry this generated confusion. I was reading kde-core-devel when I
got interested in the CDE decoration adaptation. I am not subscribed to
kde-a11y, but since it does not seem to have too much traffic I might as well
do.

> >  Agreed. Moreover, I expect that most decorations will implement only few
> > sizes at most anyway, as they use pre-made pixmaps for the decoration
> > buttons, and I don't think their developers will bother with scaling them
> > to 10 different sizes.

Ah! This was escaping me. I didn't think of pre-made pixmaps for the border.
Can I suggest to add a method to the decoration, let's say,
int supportedBorderWidths(); that tells kwin the number of different border
sizes the client supports? The gui would still be a slider, but with steps
only for the supported sizes. If the decoration returns 1, the slider gets
disabled. If the decoration supports a variable range, it would report the
difference between the minimum and the maximum size, and so on.
On the other hand, if most decorations would not support more than one size,
it makes no sense in making the option generic. Maybe tagging
accessibility-friendly window decorations together with a check-box
"Only show accessible decorations" somewhere (this could be in the
accessibility panel or in kwin panel) would do. Accessibility friendy
decorations would show a slider or a drop-down menu as necessary in the
decoration options panel.

Luciano