[Kde-accessibility] Re: [Kwin] Size of window borders

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Tue Sep 16 12:14:38 CEST 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 12:46, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> By looking on lists.kde.org I found that on the kwin at mail.kde.org mailing
> list there was a thread in which was discussed whether there should be a
> slider selecting the exact pixel-width of a window border or if it is
> sufficient to have fixed settings (e.g., "normal"=6, "large"=12, "very
> large"=24, "huge"=48). If I read correctly it was decided to use the fixed
> settings.
>
> I wonder why nobody asked on the kde-accessibility at mail.kde.org list if
> this fits the accessibility needs.
>
> In fact, specifying the pixel width is not necessary (on a 30 or 40 pixel
> wide border one pixel is nothing). However, with only 12, 24 and 48 as
> choices the handicapped user cannot really select what _he_needs_.
>
> Is it possible to add some more choices, e.g.: 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 19, 24,
> 30, 38, 48? That way you can get nearer to your needs.
>
> Gunnar Schmi Dt

In fact, the accessibility list should have been involved, yes.

When Lubos proposed the fixed settings, my first request was for a thickness
slider. Yes, it gives more precision than it is actually necessary, but the
precision can simply be ignored. If you need a large border, just move the
slider to a high value. The pixel size should not even be displayed.

I don't find having a choice between ten values to be better than having the
ability to choose the 'exact' width, it's just the same.

For me, it's either give the user a _small_ set of sizes(3-4), or give her
 the ability to choose whatever she likes. Anything in-between makes no
 sense.

On the other hand, the "fixed setting" is not meant to be fixed at all,
it is just a hint to the decoration that "normal" or "big" or "huge" borders
are requested. If a decoration "normal" border is 3 pixels, a "huge" border
could be, let's say 24 pixels, but it is up to the decoration writer to
choose the exact size.

Luciano