[Kde-accessibility] Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Free Standards Group Accessibility Workgroup

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 8 18:46:28 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 17:38, Martin Konold wrote:
> > What about the following statement:
> >
> > <statement>
> > Although there are many efforts to help handicapped persons to use a Linux
> > based computer, most of the current graphical user interfaces still have
> > many obstacles to blind persons or to people who cannot handle a normal
> > keyboard or a mouse.
>
> This is much better.
I don't know, "many obstacles" to blind persons still seems like an
understatement.  Most (i.e. all but as-yet-unpackaged versions of GNOME)
Linux GUIs are totally inaccessible to blind users.  Can't we just say
so?  I.E.

"Although there are many ongoing efforts to help persons with
disabilities use Linux systems, most Linux GUIs are still inaccessible
to blind persons and present many obstacles to people who cannot operate
a standard keyboard or mouse".

p.s. - 'handicapped' is a term which is not favored.

regards,

Bill