[Kde-accessibility] Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Free Standards Group Accessibility Workgroup

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Wed Oct 8 19:38:53 CEST 2003

Am Wednesday 08 October 2003 05:59 pm schrieben Sie:

Hi Gunnar,

> Maybe you are right, though, with that the first statement was too
> negative.
>
> > I think the accessibility work of KDE is another step
> > to make linux more atactive for handicapped people
> >
> > just say/write:
> > that the kde-accessibility-team knows the problem and they are
> > working on a solution
> > with kde-accessibility handicapped people will get the chance/possibility
> > to use the GUI
> >
> > a handicap should not be a handicap under KDE :-)
>
> What about the following statement:
>
> <statement>
> Although there are many efforts to help handicapped persons to use a Linux
> based computer, most of the current graphical user interfaces still have
> many obstacles to blind persons or to people who cannot handle a normal
> keyboard or a mouse.

This is much better.

> We, people involved in the KDE project, do not want to support this social
> exclusion but rather see the support for handicapped persons as an
> important feature for every software. The KDE accessibility team knows
> about the problem and they are working on improving the accessibility of
> KDE.

Fine.

> Unfortunately there are many different handicaps, and the manpower
> available for writing assistive technologies is restricted, so the KDE

Manpower is not the primary problem. We need an interoperable solution with
the other DE basically because otherwise the users will not be able to use
applications from different toolkits etc simultaneously.

> applications need to interoperate well with assistive technologies using
> other toolkits and vice versa. We appreciate the foundation of the Free
> Standards Group as a forum to discuss possible standards for this with
> other projects involved in accessibility.

Fine.

Yours,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold
e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de