[Kde-accessibility] Documentation about ATK and AT-SPI

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Wed Jun 25 16:37:26 CEST 2003

Phillippe is certainly correct that, for most situations, binding to ATK
is a whole lot easier from the implementation perspective - then the
"atk bridge" can be re-used, and this bridge only needs to be written
once.

Java was an exception since
(1) the JVM included a CORBA ORB already;
(2) Java's CORBA bindings are much cleaner and simpler to use than
C or C++ CORBA bindings; and
(3) Java could not cleanly use a native binding like ATK.

In the case of KDE I think the cost of using ATK (i.e. a glib
dependency) is much smaller than the cost of writing C++ AT-SPI
server-side bindings.  Since we don't have an army of people allocated
to so this work, the programming effort required becomes a very
important consideration.

Best regards,

- Bill