[Kde-accessibility] compile kttsd - EST_THash.h problem

Bill Haneman bill.haneman at sun.com
Fri Jun 6 16:30:48 CEST 2003

Hi folks:

A couple of points;

1) gnopernicus is not at 1.0, or even "alpha" yet, though that should be
coming along soon.  It will be bundled with GNOME 2.4 ( at least in the
core "community" version of GNOME).  Right now we really do NOT expect
casual end-users to find it a usable work environment; nonetheless a
number of brave people are using it already.  I think it would be wrong
to extrapolate much from those initial impressions since nobody's
claiming it's ready for end users yet.

2) GNOME itself is quite stable now, in my opinion, if you are running a
stable release.  The stable releases don't support Gnopernicus yet, that
will come with release 2.4, scheduled for September.  So those folks who
are experimenting with running GNOME with gnopernicus now are using
unstable development versions of both gnopernicus and the GNOME
platform.

3) Offering any kind of useful support for severely disabled people
takes a *lot* of time.  I find it very doubtful that a KDE-based
solution could possibly come online in a modest amount of time; i.e.
gnopernicus and GNOME 2.4 will have been out and stabilized well before
then.  You are welcome to promote and prefer a KDE-based solution but
you will have to wait for it :-)

regards,

- Bill