[Kde-accessibility] compile kttsd - EST_THash.h problem

Paul Hunks pnhunks at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 00:37:42 CEST 2003

Greetings Gunnar:

>- From the statement that your project needs TTS for browser,email, word
>processer etc. I read that you might be interested in a screen reader? On
>the
>Gnome platform there is such a project (Gnopernicus). That one uses the
>AT-SPI architecture for capturing the screen contents, so that it works
>together with all AT-SPI aware applications. Unfortunately AT-SPI support
>is
>yet missing under KDE. However, we are currently working on concepts of how
>to change this. We won't start coding on this until end of August, though.

I've tried Gnopernicus, and I think it's a worthy project. But; I still have
too many stability problems with Gnome overall.

The people I'm trying to help have a variety of visual and/or physical
disabilities. ( Speech recognition is also on their wishlist,but the
majority can benefit from TTS.

Besides suffering disabilities...these people are also financially
disadvantaged. So a no / low cost solution running on a low cost computer
became prime objectives.And,because these folk  are
handicapped,usage must be as simple and stable as possible.

Gnome keeps getting better....but I'm still not convinced that it's stable.

I use KDE on Mandrake 9.1 for all my daily computing. It has the stability
level these people need.
About the only situation KDE really has trouble with is trying to access a
file on an unmounted partition. I'd really like to present a KDE - based
solution for these people.

The project is open-ended; so I can wait for the new coding in late summer.

Again, many thanks.

paul