[Kde-accessibility] kmag issues

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt@kde.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:50:36 +0100

[Sarang Lakare]
> > 1. The file menu in kmag is empty. A patch is attached.
>
> I removed everything from the file menu and removed the menubar from
> the kmagui.rc file.

Sorry, that didn't work. There still is a menu bar with just the help men=
u=20
in it in KDE 3.0.5a if you activate "Menu bar on top of screen like in=20
MacOS".

> > 3. I thought kmag was buggy because it did allow me to magnify the
> > edge of screen after i changes the ratio, but it is rather a
> > usability problem.
>
> I didn't get you there. Can you explain the problem again?

If the selection window does not fit the kmag window, only the middle par=
t=20
is shown in the kmag window. This is a problem if the mouse is outside of=
=20
the middle, because the shown content does not follow the mouse to the=20
edge of the screen.

> > It took me quite a while to find out that you need to click onto
> > "maximize the use of the window" whenever you change the window size
> > or the magifier ratio.
> >
> > Are there any strong reasons for not always using the correct window
> > size? If so, then we should ask kde-usability for advice, otherwise
> > we could just remove that button and make it adjust automatically.
>
> What do you want to adjust automatically? The KMag window itself or the
> selection window?

The selection window. But it would be OK if you fix this perceived "bug"=20
by making sure the area around the mouse pointer is always shown in the=20
kmag window. Don't show the middle part of the selection window, better=20
strictly follow the mouse.

> Its on my todo to auto resize the selection window to
> fit the size of the kmag display window. I don't think we should resize
> the KMag application window as per the size of selection window.

I agree with you.

> Also, I want it to be config option.. because at times I do not want
> the selection window size to change.. I need it fixed..

A config option with a default for autosizing the selection window would=20
be nice, but we do not need it urgently for the first kdeaccessibility=20
release (especially since we aimed for string freeze for today).

But IMHO the menubar and the screen edge issue should both be fixed befor=
e=20
the release.

Olaf.

- --=20
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility Project
KDEAP co-maintainer, maintainer of http://accessibility.kde.org