[Kde-accessibility] do we need menubar in kmag?

Iain Murray iain@ece.curtin.edu.au
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:54:02 +0800

Hi
I had a look at the KDE user interface guide, and although it seems to
recommend a standard layout which includes a menubar, I think in this
case it is not a particularly useful item. If the magnified area is
kept as "clean" as possible (ie no menu bar or icons) and options are
in a separate (usually minimized) palette, usability would be better.

The profile idea is a good one I think, why not just an option in the
separate palette?
Regards
On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Sarang Lakare wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> This topic was raised recently on the list and I wanted your opinion.
> Earlier
> versions of kmag had a menubar, but then I decided to get rid of it
> since it
> was not serving any purpose. kmag is not a file driven appication..
> there are
> no files to open or close, so I decided to just have a toolbar.
>
> Here is what I plan for the future:
>
> 1. As Iain Murray suggested, kmag will have a separate window with all
> the
> options since it will be easy for those with vision problems to locate
> the
> options all in one place. To open the option window, I will add a
> button to
> the right of "selection window" (bottom).
>
> 2. I will add two profiles to kmag. One for visibility impaired people
> and the
> other for graphics designers/image processing researchers who just
> need it
> for zooming a part of the screen. We can also have two desktop files
> which go
> in different places in the menu.
>
> So the bottomline is that I do not think the menubar is necessary. It
> simply
> wastes screen space.
>
> Regards,
> Sarang
>

> --

Iain Murray
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U1987
Perth 6845 WA
Australia